05 June 2006

Racism.....Goooooaaaaaaaallllllllll........





Did anybody see the ESPN special piece by Jeremy Schaap on the subject of racism, FIFA, and World Cup soccer???? . Soccer (Football), argueably the worlds number one sport, has a gigantic problem with racism. Basically, in Europe its ok to go to soccer matches and display your racial pride bigotry towards the HOMETOWN team, OPPOSING team, and any fans foolish to attend. Players of African descent sometimes are pelted with banana's and monkey noises DURING the game. Even certain sections of the stadium are organized between NEO-Nazi, Arryan Nation, and various other nutso groups all chanting pro nazi slogans flashing nazi salutes.
But I thought the piece was interesting and shocking considering the fact that U.S. military saved all those people from speaking German and I mean it is like 2006???. Besides what makes a soccer match the perfect venue to display your political and racial angst??
It just seems silly that we can export capitalism and Just-In-Time production techniques but not tolerance and human rights.

11 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I blacked out at ESPN...what were you saying?

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

ok, I read it this time and that is just disgusting. I had no idea this happened at a "sporting" game.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

And don't forget this

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger The Lily said...

I saw it. And I'm not shocked. And I can't efficiently verbalise my opinion on it.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger O-FACE said...

Wendy...Yeah..so leave the kids at home if you have any...

CC--I know. I wish the medical establishment would classify the behavior as mental illness.

AM--Dam

CB--I just thought it was weird to see Spain, Italy, Denmark, and Portugal acting like that...I would expect that from Germans and Russians...I thik its due to the N/Africans immigration and shabby euro economies.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Roar Savage said...

I'm not sure the US would be the country to "export" anti-racist sentiments...
Just sayin'.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger O-FACE said...

Sean--LMAO....Here we go again.....I didn't know the hate was thick....

Roar---YOUR STILL ALIVE?????? I can call off the search party now....Where the hell have you been at????

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Roar Savage said...

Under a rock, of course. I miss you, too.

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger O-FACE said...

And please spare the sanctimony of the idea that the U.S. is more or less enlightened than Europe.
**********************************
True, but I don't see anybody throwing banana's at Gilbert Arenas or grunting at Clinton Portis either... America is definitely far from ok. But I guess you haven't heard about Paris turning into a metro sized bonfire. All those people just set it ablaze just to stay warm.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger The Lily said...

Mmm. O, I think you are falling into an old trap there. Ok, I get Germany, but apart from obvious reasons... I don't see why the other countries that are dealing with new immigrants should be excluded.

I gotta go with Sean here. The EU is not as enlightened as we make it out to be. It's been a prominently caucasoid place for a very long time. The recent influx of North Africans and middle easterners is not something they have had to deal with in this capacity. There is going to be friction.

They're exhibiting a lot of the same behaviors of the South during the integration (i.e, black cats on the field for Jackie Robinson) as the south did. Which is not justification, it just is.

But I assure you that we in the south have gotten better. We're by no means perfect, but I would hate that people are narrow-minded enough to think that most southerners are that bigoted after years and years of civil rights struggle.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Raincouver said...

This is very disturbing and disappointing, to say the least. I had never heard of it. But it does make sense... freakin' hooligans.

And you make a good point on the fact that no bananas are thrown in North American games.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home