03 May 2006

Words I live by May




Words I live by: The Usual Suspects-May


Verbal:
Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father
was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew
anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell
it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his
power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the
world he didn't exist.


Jeff Rabin:
I'm telling you this guy is protected from up on high by the Prince of Darkness.


Keaton
:
I'm a businessman now.
Cop:
Yeah? What's that, the restaurant business? No. From now on, you're in the getting'-fucked-by-us business.



Verbal:
Soze walks in to find his wife raped and violated and his two children held hostage. The Hungarians say that they come to deliver a message to him, to not get in there way again or they will kill his family. Keyser Soze turns and pulls out a gun and shoots his wife and two children in the head and then proceeds to shoot the Hungarians two associates. Soze then turns to the lone survivor and tells him that nothing will get in his way, not fear, not them, not even family. He lets the last Hungarian go. He waits until his wife and kids are in
the ground and then he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their
kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents'
friends. He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work
in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone.
Underground. Nobody has ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook
story that criminals tell their kids at night. "Rat on your pop, and
Keyser Soze will get you." And no-one ever really believes.


You know your getting old when the office intern tells you that she's never seen this movie. Man does time fly. Probably one of top 5 movies to come out in the last 20 years, "The Usual Suspects", is a deep mysterious thriller/crime drama about a unlucky crew of thieves and a cold blooded Turkish crime lord. The movie stars a whole bunch of who's who's of Hollywood, such as Kevin Spacey, Stephen Baldwin, Giancarlo Esposito and Benicio Del Torro to name a few.
What made this movie so great wasn't the actors or the acting but the storyline and plot trail. I think audiences enjoy being tricked intelligently, being duped by the director/writer into assuming one outcome and totally blindsided by something else, something that we all can attribute to Alfred Hitchcock and his success within his movies.

I have a friend who just recently told his wife that he'd been cheating on her with another woman. A woman that was considered a family friend. This announcement brings great sadness to me because he has a beautiful wife and son and gorgeous home, so to throw that all away for some mediocre ass sort of blows my mind. Plus, I'm his closest confidant and his wife will probably try and pursue me to get revenge because that's the hummarabi code of law in relationships. Hit me, and I hit you back twice as hard. Now the ofacester won't do it, because I definitely don't need to get in the middle of a tense relationship with a pee'd off husband standing outside my door with a pick ax and bottle of bleach. So I'll be sure to remind him everytime I see him or we hold a conversation, about a old chinese proverb:" High emotions always lead to low rationale." or maybe it was Egyptian?

But I definitely walk with some guilt because the wife has expectations for the close friend of the husband. My role is to be the back up moral system in case the hubbies malfunction and crashes causing him to do miraculous and stupid regretful things, and I wasn't, I failed too. But the signs were all their, I mean this guy was more disconnected than a cellphone inside Union Station. The hubby hangs out more often than most of you's in blogdom do and he has a wife and child to look after. I guess he did all this to avoid the reality of having to handle adult like responsibilities such as raising a family and being a husband. He did get married at 25 yrs old, but still at some point you have to assess the situation and step the f-up, not for you but for everyone involved and I can't understand how he couldn't see what is plainly obvious to most people with families. But I learned one thing from all this--------Nothing worse than seeing a woman cry, holding her 3 year old son, staring you in your face asking the question:"Did you know?". ***throat lump***

7 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Well, did you know?

Eeek.

BTW - "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the
world he didn't exist."

Classic quote.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Moxie said...

Ouch.

at the same time know, I'm sure she doesnt hold you responsible in anyway. people tend to look for blame in the wrong places when they get hurt.

I'm with AM, did you know? guessing you did. what did you say? I'm always shocked to some extent when guys come clean with their wives on this and wonder what the motivation is.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger The Lily said...

I pretty much agree with what has already been said.

I understand that she is hurt, but expecting you to be his moral compass is ridiculous. And even if you deny it, would she believe you?

You're already doing the right thing by steering clear. I'm sorry that you have been put in such a difficult place.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger O-FACE said...

EF--- You can be my lawyer and represent on my behalf.

AM--- Yeah I did..

Moxie-- He was parnoid and delusional. Always worrying about his cell phone or going out in public or gossip in the community. It was killing him...

DO-- I hear that all the time...everybody is together for the kids. Never for each other.

VK-- Rothfl--- Verbal Kent.....And like that, he was gone.

CB-- Your such a Doctor Phil, I wanna get you a column in some newspaper, your wasting your talent. But I do feel guilt, because I can understand why a woman would feel stupid if somebody she interacted with often, knew something in respect of her marriage that could be harmful...

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger RC said...

ahh...what a great movie...

good choice w/ brian singer's movie superman returns coming out soon.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger The Lily said...

O: *laughs* if you make it happen I will write little, my dr.philling heart out.

Sure, it's hard not to feel guilt. Frankly if you didn't it'd be pretty cold. So guilt is understandable, just don't let it affect you any more than to acknowledge it because you really didn't have any control.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said...

you are in a difficult situation. clearly the wife can't expect you to tell her things the husband has confided in you.

no offense to your friend, but this is why i don't trust guys. throwing everything away for a fleeting thrill makes no sense!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home